Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Zihuatanejo Shopping Junket

We took a cab into Zihuatanejo for a little shopping expedition.

We stopped at the municipal pier and watched the boats going back and forth across the bay. I think they were going to the Playa Las Gatas, nearly every boat very overloaded with no lifejackets in sight. After trying to have lunch at two Frommer’s recommended restaurants (both closed for lunch), we let ourselves be enticed into an open air restaurant with a view of the fishing boats in the harbor. Bob had mahi mahi fillet; I ordered the shrimp brochette (which arrived without the skewer). Both were served with a savory rice and salad and were quite delicious.

After lunch we walked slowly back through the market area and stopped for a cold Victoria beer. Neither of us is much of a shopper and we hadn’t yet bought anything, but the beer gave us a little fortitude. Bob got a shirt and hat, and I found a pretty silver cross and chain, but not without some help from Bob. The chain was more that I wanted to pay so I walked away, but the merchant kept lowering the price. That unnerved me until Bob stepped in and settled on 120 pesos. I then figured that I had paid too much for the cross (150 pesos), but for 250 (less than $20 US) I should just forget about it and be happy with the purchase.

Earlier, we had met some Vancouverites who had taken the city bus from Ixtapa for the equivalent of about a dollar, compared with the six dollars (with tip) that we had paid for cab fare. However, we decided the convenience was well worth the price and we hailed a cab for the trip home.

No comments:

Post a Comment